Port Severn residents should prepare for an interruption to their water service for several hours beginning at midnight tonight. Work being done at the Water Treatment Plant will result in a shut down of the system between midnight and 6am Thursday. Afterward, a Drinking Water Advisory will be in effect while the system is brought back on line and tested. The municipality recommends the following:
- The District recommends that you shut off the water supply valve to your home in order to stop your domestic plumbing from draining.
- Please prepare ahead of time for this interruption by filling up extra jugs of water for your personal use.
- After the water service is resumed, people who take their water from the municipal system should not drink the water, use it to brush their teeth, or use it to wash foods, such as fruit and vegetables, which will be consumed without cooking.
- Water should be brought to a rolling boil and allowed to boil for one full minute. People should ensure that water used for cooking comes to a full boil. Otherwise, the water is safe for bathing and washing clothes.
- Flushing, chlorine residual testing and bacteriological sampling will take place immediately upon restoration of service throughout the municipal system.
- Sampling of the water system will continue until such time that test results confirm the safety and integrity of the water system has been maintained.
- The test results will be available no later than 4:00 pm Friday October 30th. At that time, notification will be provided to all affected customers.