Severn Bridge Resident Battles His Own Blaze Before Firefighters Arrive

Authorities Crediting Smoke Alarm With Getting Everyone Out Unharmed

Firefighters are crediting a smoke alarm for getting some Severn Bridge residents to safety. Around 8:00 last night, emergency crews rushed to reports of a kitchen fire on Joseph Place. Thanks to the smoke alarm, the homeowner already got his family to safety and had put out the blaze with a portable extinguisher. Officials say the fire started when a resident put a clothes basket on a stove and accidentally nudged the burner on.