One of the Trudeau Government’s campaign platforms was to make marijuana legalization a reality in Canada by July 1, 2018. They are expected to introduce new marijuana legislation today. Some of the elements the bill is expected to cover include:
- Canadians will legally be allowed to hold up to 30 grams
- penalties for selling cannabis to minors and driving under the influence of marijuana
- Limits on how marijuana is marketed (likely similar to alcohol and tobacco rules)
- Funding a public awareness campaign
- Approving roadside saliva tests to detect drug use
The Cannabis Legalization and Regulation Task Force pointed out in a recent report that roadside detection tests are still being developed. Also in the report are several pieces of advice that are expected to be included in the bill.
- Minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana
- Allowing Canadians to grow four marijuana plants per household
- Provinces and Territories to have control over price and distribution
You can read more about the pending announcement here.