Fire In Muskoka Lakes

Hot Ash Had Nowhere To Go

A structure fire in the township of Muskoka Lakes on Friday has caused 125-thousand dollars in damage following a blaze that happened when hot ash became trapped in a small void under the fireplace.  25 Fire fighters from three stations responded along with two marine vessels. They discovered the fire was contained to one of the bedrooms. Once out, they found the owners had used a small ash collection trap at the back of the fire place to push their ashes into BUT the trap did not have a clean-out hatch and had built up over time. The owners of the home, who are from outside the country have been contacted, 2 of the residents suffered minor smoke inhalation.