Spring cleaning begins today on 38 kilometres of watermain in northwest Barrie (Letitia Heights). Ciy crews will spend 10-12 days removing sediment that builds up over time. Some residences and businesses will experience water outages as part of the swabbing process, and will be given written notice in advance. Some homes and businesses may experience more than one outage, due to their location, such as corner lots or lots close to main valves. In addition, there may be some water discoloration during outages for short durations.
Residents should follow these guidelines:
- Turn on a cold water tap and let the water run for a few minutes.
- Do not choose a tap that has a water filter connected to it, or the sediment may clog your filter.
- Do not use a hot water tap because it could draw sediment into your hot water tank.
- Catch some water in a light-coloured cup or container to see if it is clear. Proceed to use the water if it is clear. If the water doesn’t clear in 5 minutes, wait 30 minutes and try again.
- During the outage, water pressure will come and go, but please do not run any water during this time period as it could cause large quantities of sediment to plug your service/plumbing/appliances etc.
Apartment property managers, landlords and business operators should follow these guidelines:
- Turn on a cold water tap near the water shut off valve (e.g. a tap in the mop sink in the maintenance room) and let the water run for a few minutes.
- Catch some water in a light-coloured cup or container to see if it is clear.
- Restore water to the rest of the building when the water is clear.
Why is the water cloudy:
- Water is cloudy because air captured in the water makes tiny bubbles. These bubbles are harmless and will disappear if the water sits for a few minutes. If water is still discoloured after two to three hours, call the City of Barrie at 705-792-7920
The City of Barrie will be monitoring the water clarity and chlorine residual in the watermains. For more information, refer to Water Distribution Infrastructure Maintenance at Barrie Water Services.