Was quitting smoking one of your New Year’s resolutions? The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit begins a series of workshops today to help you stay on track. Stephanie McLarty says they will emphasize the need to change the way we think about smoking and quitting…
The Health Unit also using the stories from people who have smoked and quit, and from others who have watched loved ones suffer the scourge of tobacco-related diseases. The three-hour workshops will teach more about the effects of nicotine on the brain and how to overcome the cravings in the early days of quitting. You will also get a free supply of nicotine replacement patches and instruction on how to use them correctly. Pre-registration is required to attend a workshop by calling Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520 any time Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Workshops in March include:
* Bracebridge: Monday, March 20, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
* Midland: Tuesday, March 21, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
* Wasaga Beach: Tuesday, March 21, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
* Gravenhurst: Wednesday, March 22, 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
* Huntsville: Monday, March 27, 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
* Ramara: Tuesday, March 28, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
If you are ready to try quitting but want to do it on your own visit the health unit’s website at simcoemuskokahealth.org for free apps and tracking tools. Join the Tobacco-Free Chatter Facebook group to share success stories and tips for quitting and follow on Twitter @TFChatter.