Cigarette Butt Did $50,000 In Damage to Barrie Home

No Injuries After Fire Service Says Last Smoke Of The Day Ignited Back Porch

The last cigarette of the day is being blamed for a fire on Barrie’s Ferris Lane. Fire Prevention Officer Samantha Hoffman tells us the fire started around 11:00 last evening, with a discarded butt on the back deck of the home. Working smoke detectors rousted the family and got them out safely, while the damage to the home is estimated at $50,000. The Barrie Fire Services is offering up a few tips and tricks on how to safely deal with cigarette butts, lighters, and matches. You can view these tipsĀ here.